Caitlin, Rediet and Carly

Caitlin, Rediet and Carly

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Habesha & Farenji

We have been home now for just about 5 days and its been a good start. We have had the very normal things like just trying to communicate (ie: point, grunt, growl, smile, laugh, gigle and point again). Yes, this is with our 9 year old...in return, we get a few giggles, a few raised eyebrows, a few sighs and the raising of eyebrows, a few "no's", and a few "i'll just ignore whatever it is you maybe just said" looks.

Today was a good one though for Sarah....and I got a neat moment too. For bedtime, Sarah got a hug and a kiss goodnight! For me earlier, we were "talking" --- and I said something to the effect to Rediet that I was habesha (ethiopian).....she laughed, and said, "no, farenji". I responded, "no, habesha"..........this was my fun thing to do in ethiopia.......I don't think I fooled anyone, but, enjoyed telling them I was not farenji, I was habesha. Anyways, I pointed to Sarah and Rediet said, "Farenji". I went and found our amharic book and pointed to her (habesha), me (farenji), and Sarah (farenji)..........and then said in amharic "family". Rediet smiled.

So, if the next 5 days are hard; I'll try and remember tonight.....that was fun. I could imagine...in a really small way, that is most definitely the way the Lord envisioned the way we would interact and care for each other.......habesha and farenji.........one family. black, white, hispanic,.....you name it.........one family; one Father in Heaven; one Son; one Holy Spirit......all in one.........one family. Thankful we get to be a part of His family........how wonderful is He; we are not only "farenji" --- "foreigners" compared to Him.......we don't even deserve to get to look at Him; yet, through His Son, we are one with Him, we are no longer "farenji"......we are family.

I had lunch today with a friend.....and talked about how adoption impacts me probably more than it ever will Rediet or Wolasa.......tonight is a good example.....I was reminded of His goodness through a simple conversation of habesha and farenji.....and reminded of what He has done so that I could be part of His family.....an heir with full rights......just like Rediet and Wolasa are today in my family.

Cary

2 comments:

Kat said...

Beautifully said...praying for your transitioning.

colecrew said...

loved that:) we are really excited for you guys. i hope to meet her soon. what an incredible journey it must be.